There are 6 criteria for judging whether an improvement solution will be effective. (As explained by Eli Goldratt in his Webcast Series)
A solution must:
- Produce results and excellent benefits
- Be a win/win/win for all who’s collaboration is needed
- Have small risk relative to the benefits
- Be simpler than what we do now
- Have a sequence that enables people to get on board because the first actions deliver significant, immediate results
- Be one that does not self-destruct, or is blind to the dangers of success.
Of course, Goldratt has outlined a method with strategies and tactics that meets all criteria in the realm of Project Management. It is amazingly simple, but would require significant behavior changes and difficult decisions by top leaders in a large company. Still, many companies are being successful at applying his method.